Saturday, December 13, 2008

It's Gumbo weather

It's Gumbo weather!! Unfortunately El Paso is limited on the sausage required for Gumbo - unless you enjoy chicken and hotdog gumbo which we do not. So we decided to special order some wonderful cajun sausage. It showed up yesterday in a cooler - still frozen. Ryan thought Jack would enjoy getting mail so when he ordered it he put to be mailed to Jack's House. Well when Jack opened the package and realized it was just sausage he got a little weepy. " I always get the lame gifts in the mail" was the response. Little did he realize that the sausage was packaged with dry ice and the genius that Ryan is helped Jack see that the real gift was the wonderful things you can do with dry ice. First he put it in a glass with soda and the boys oohed and aahhed appropriately. But the real excitement came when the question came up : I wonder what would happen if we put the dry ice in the toilet. So in response to my sister Michelle's blog post --- this is what having little boys is all about. Is it wrong to enjoy watching two little boys put dry ice in the toilet and discover what happens when you pee on it? I say no! Have you ever heard my boys laugh? It's a glorious sound!!


13 comments:

Jo Dee said...

Oh my Gosh! I am laughing so hard. This is hilarious!!!!

Unknown said...

Okay, so no boys at my house... what happens when you pee on dry ice??

kellibattraw said...

Perhaps I should send a gift to Jack that is not lame, to restore his faith in the postal system. : )

Michelle said...

See... all the things I miss out on? Maybe Chino would demonstrate.

Shanna Davis said...

I have an 8 year old boy that would have loved to be in on that one. He's surrounded by girls! What is it with boys and word 'fart'. Breken thinks it's hilarious to insert the word fart in nearly every song he sings. He also likes to run around saying, 'aah, my butt's on fire.' No idea where he got that one...your baby is so adorable. How are you?

Michelle said...

That is werid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Joc =-@

Nancie said...

The thought provoking question this brings up is, did Ryan already know what would happen when you pee on dry ice?

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

oocs

Wendi said...

I sooooo do relate- the favorite thing at our house to do with dry ice is to put in 2 liter botles and make bottle rockets out of it- the crazy things boys do! We can't wait to see you in just a few days- YEA! And I get dibs on Ben first!
Wendi

tamiz said...

We too must order our sausage as well for gumbo, good ol' Heberts!! (aaaa-bears)HA! BTW, you are probably the only ones out there who know where we got the nickname "Zimmies" LOL

duane w said...

How did the Gumbo turn out? We are having Gumbo tomorrow at my in-laws. Love it!

mary lobdell said...

I love this story! It is a brilliant lesson that sometimes, if we're not careful, we overlook the real gift. I miss y'all!

BTW Here's a link to a new sausage maker (daughter of a sausage maker)in Lafayette. I'll see if they ship. I like their site because of the music. The husband of the daughter of the sausage maker is also the drummer for "The Canes" (the first song you hear).

mary lobdell said...

oops. Forgot to copy the sausage link:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=373720682